Saturday 11 November 2017

Nov 11, 2017- Suggested Reading Psalm 119:169-176


“I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.”

This last verse is the most encouraging verse of the 176 verses of Psalm 119! Many times as we read Scripture we seek to stand in the writer’s shoes, and rightly so. But in this verse the psalmist stands in my shoes- he has strayed from God’s Word, he has lost his way and he is completely dependent upon God seeking him out! The good news for the psalmist and for me and for you (if you have lost your way)- is that seeking the lost is what Jesus came to do. He is the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep, He came to seek and to save that which was lost.

This verse qualifies all of the verses that precede it, for it reveals that the writer did not perfectly keep the Law, even further that the writer is aware that he purposefully left the Way of Life.

This verse overflows with grace, instead of me earning my way back, God has to seek me out – His action is my only hope.

My part? – Don’t forget God’s commands, don’t forget God has given Life giving commands in His Word. If my prayer to God to act in grace and seek me out is a prayer of truth- then my prayer will be accompanied by me reading His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment