Tuesday 9 April 2013

Psalm 119:9-16



 "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
{Psalm 119:11} (NIV)

It is a well-known fact that our Lord overcame temptation by quoting Scripture back to Satan. We know that the Eternal Word, the One who became flesh, wrote all Scripture, but we also know from the gospels that Jesus grew up before God and men. He was a human who went through childhood and then His teenage years and then adulthood. It is recorded in the gospels that He stayed in the temple debating the teachers of the Law. 

Jesus, the disciples and Paul were all raised in a culture that emphasized memorizing Scripture. The psalmist desires to walk on the path of purity. He knows that it will only happen if he lives according to God’s Laws. He knows that he can only live according to God’s Laws, if he has those Laws readily available to his conscious mind. He hides them in his heart, he rejoices in them, he meditates on them, and he delights in them. The psalmist sounds like our Lord Jesus. 

Friend, what part of God’s Law can you recite right now? Right now; this instant? Let us work on this. Let us memorize the Law of God. Let us do what Jesus did. 


Psalm 119:9-16

ב Beth

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.



No comments:

Post a Comment