Thursday 25 April 2013

Psalm 119:121-128

"It is time for you to act, LORD; your law is being broken."
{Psalm 119:126} (NIV)

This prayer is a prayer of a righteous person who lacks an eternal perspective. It is the prayer of Habakkuk, Job, Nehemiah, Elijah, Jeremiah, and of David. When I look at this list of names and know that we could add to it easily, I wonder how I could say that they lack an eternal perspective - yet they do. 

Jesus did not pray this prayer. I can’t think of a single instance where He questioned the timing of God. He sought to be in step with the timing of God, and He was content to allow God to set the times for judgment and vengeance. He taught us to pray for justice without ceasing and to pray in faith believing that in God’s time, and in God’s way, justice will be done. 

Our Lord knew that His purpose was to bring in a time of delayed justice, a period of grace. A period in which a gracious God would justify wicked people on the basis of His suffering and atoning sacrifice, and forbear with a multitude of wickedness, until the full number of souls are saved. 

Yet, the Bible teaches us that this type of prayer seeking God to act NOW, plays an indispensable role in bringing about the final judgment and vengeance of God upon the wicked. As John peers into heaven itself, he records this truth in Revelation 6:10 and 8:4-6. As I read the accounts of the men I listed, as I read the gospels, and as I read these verses in Revelation, I wish that I could come up with different descriptive phrase than, “lacking an eternal perspective”. 

May I - may we - know God at the level these righteous ones knew Him. They knew Him intimately, because they experienced the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings. (Phil 3:10)

Psalm 119:121-128

New International Version (NIV)

ΧΆ Ayin

121 
I have done what is righteous and just;

    do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 
Ensure your servant’s well-being;
    do not let the arrogant oppress me.
123 
My eyes fail, looking for your salvation,
    looking for your righteous promise.
124 
Deal with your servant according to your love
    and teach me your decrees.
125 
I am your servant; give me discernment
    that I may understand your statutes.
126 
It is time for you to act, Lord;
    your law is being broken.
127 
Because I love your commands
    more than gold, more than pure gold,
128 
and because I consider all your precepts right,
    I hate every wrong path.

No comments:

Post a Comment