Wednesday 10 April 2013

Psalm 119:17-24



"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law."
{Psalm 119:18} (NIV)


What could we possibly get from a bunch of words written by males thousands of years ago? Many times we open up our Bibles and read a section and it just seems to be a bunch of words; it doesn’t mean anything to us. It doesn’t bless us nor does it accomplish anything in our lives. 

The psalmist wants God to be good to him, and he understands that God’s goodness flows to us through His Word and through His Spirit. So he asks God to open his eyes so that he can see the wonderful things in God’s Law. 

It has been said that in order for a person to accept (Listen, Consider and Obey - Mark 4) the Word into their inner beings, the Spirit must do a work that is equivalent to the work He did when He inspired those Words to be written. Paul tells us that we can’t understand things of the Spirit without the Spirit giving us discernment. (1 Cor 2:14)  

Friend, as the old hymn says, “It is no secret what God can do, what He did for others He will do for you” God blessed this psalmist and gave him wonderful insight into the Law. He answered his prayer and opened his eyes. May we this day, before we read any of the Word, pray this prayer and ask the Spirit to reveal the life giving truth. He will answer that prayer!


Psalm 119:17-24

ג Gimel

17 Be good to your servant while I live,
    that I may obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see
    wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth;
    do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing
    for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed,
    those who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt,
    for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me,
    your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight;
    they are my counselors.


No comments:

Post a Comment