Friday 12 April 2013

Psalm 119:33-40


"How I long for your precepts!
    In your righteousness preserve my life."
{Psalm 119:40} (NIV)

To be able to truly say these words from our heart, is to know that we have the Holy Spirit within us. To long for God’s precepts because we are convinced that they are the means of bringing eternal life into my daily life, is to have learned the truths expressed in Romans 6:23 and 8:10. 

A person arrives in this blessed place of assurance by asking God for grace and more grace. First we ask Him to teach us, then to give us the ability to understand His teaching. Then we ask Him to direct our lives, and to turn our hearts towards Him (which is the gospel according to Jeremiah 31:33). We ask Him also to turn our eyes away from money and the worthless things we spend our lives and our earnings on. When our LORD has answered these prayers, then we are in a position to ask for His promises to be fulfilled and for us to be kept from disgrace. 

Friend, let us be honest. Do we long for the law of God? Do we long to obey, or do we wish that God would not have included a certain command in His Word? Romans 7 is all about “I” and Romans 8 is all about the “Holy Spirit”. 

May we this day surrender to the Holy Spirit and ask Him to teach us, to open our minds, direct our feet, and then turn our hearts and turn our eyes toward Him.

Psalm 119:33-40

New International Version (NIV)

ה He

33 
Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
    that I may follow it to the end.[a]
34 
Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
    and obey it with all my heart.
35 
Direct me in the path of your commands,
    for there I find delight.
36 
Turn my heart toward your statutes
    and not toward selfish gain.
37 
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
    preserve my life according to your word.[b]
38 
Fulfill your promise to your servant,
    so that you may be feared.
39 
Take away the disgrace I dread,
    for your laws are good.
40 
How I long for your precepts!
    In your righteousness preserve my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment