Monday 29 April 2013

Psalm 119:145-152


"I call with all my heart; answer me, LORD, and I will obey your decrees."
{Psalm 119:145} (NIV) 

Seems like a typical approach many people make to God when they are in trouble: “God if you will save me...if you will help me, I promise I will obey You, Your Words and commands.”  Yeah. Sure you will. 
However this psalmist’s approach to God is far from typical, but is actually righteous! These promises that are being made are based on a life already lived according to God’s Law. He rises early to pray and seek help from God, placing his hope in the Word of God. He stays awake late at night for the purpose of thinking about the promises God has made in the Law. He asks for a ‘YES’ answer based on God’s character and on the covenant of love (Law) that God has made with him. 
He points out that his enemies are a long way from honouring their Creator God by keeping His Law which will last forever. This person knows the heart of God, and knows that God desires to have people on the earth who love and obey His Law, and so, this righteous person who lives according to God’s Law, honouring God’s Name, has grounds to ask for God’s help in this situation. 

Friend, what about us? Do we have grounds to ask God to save us? Will extending our lives bring honour to His name?

Psalm 119:145-152

New International Version (NIV)

ק Qoph

145 
I call with all my heart; answer me, Lord,
    and I will obey your decrees.
146 
I call out to you; save me
    and I will keep your statutes.
147 
I rise before dawn and cry for help;
    I have put my hope in your word.
148 
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
    that I may meditate on your promises.
149 
Hear my voice in accordance with your love;
    preserve my life, Lord, according to your laws.
150 
Those who devise wicked schemes are near,
    but they are far from your law.
151 
Yet you are near, Lord,
    and all your commands are true.
152 
Long ago I learned from your statutes
    that you established them to last forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment