Tuesday 30 April 2013

Psalm 119:153-160

"See how I love your precepts; preserve my life, LORD, in accordance with your love."
{Psalm 119:159} (NIV) 

A careful reader notes that this verse is a repetition of verse 149, and therefore deserves extra attention. It isn’t an exact duplicate, but the same three thoughts are in both verses. The prayer is the same: “preserve my life”. The reason for hearing and answering this prayer is the same: “in accordance with your love”. The connection between the Law of God and the God’s love is very clear in both verses. The Law which is God’s covenant of love to His children, is the basis on which God will preserve my life. My observable love for God’s Law (which is the level at which I obey) is the basis on which I can ask God for His love to be made ‘real’ in my situation.

God’s love / my love  / His Law / my life

God’s love is made ‘real’ in my life by Him giving me a Law to live by (the Law of Love). My love for God is demonstrated by me when I obey His Law (Jn 14:23). Now and only now do I have the grounds to pray a prayer like this and boy do we ever have these grounds in Christ! When we approach God in the name of Christ, united with our Lord, we approach God as one who has obeyed Him perfectly.

Now friend, as we think on our wonderful position in Christ, does it not cause you to desire to love as Christ loved?

Psalm 119:153-160

New International Version (NIV)

ר Resh

153 
Look on my suffering and deliver me,

    for I have not forgotten your law.
154 
Defend my cause and redeem me;
    preserve my life according to your promise.
155 
Salvation is far from the wicked,
    for they do not seek out your decrees.
156 
Your compassion, Lord, is great;
    preserve my life according to your laws.
157 
Many are the foes who persecute me,
    but I have not turned from your statutes.
158 
I look on the faithless with loathing,
    for they do not obey your word.
159 
See how I love your precepts;
    preserve my life, Lord, in accordance with your love.
160 
All your words are true;
    all your righteous laws are eternal.



No comments:

Post a Comment