Saturday 20 April 2013

Psalm 119:89-96


"Your word, LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens."
{Psalm 119:89} (NIV) 

The mind has gone from the author's afflictions and his precarious situation to the greatness of the Word of God. My life is temporary, but the Word of God is eternal. Eternal means everlasting, which is the opposite of temporary. More than that, eternal means without beginning or end. This is of course taught in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word.” 

The psalmist sees a limit to all perfection on earth, but there is no limit to God’s commands. He does not mean that there is no end to the demands that God places on us. NO, he means that there is no limit to the blessings that flow from God to those who obey His commands. 

The pinnacle of pride happens when temporary humans stand in judgment over the eternal Word. When we, in our temporariness, decide that the eternal Word is not for us, that we know better what is good for us, we have just proven how utterly gripped by pride and rebellion our hearts are. A righteous person humbles themselves under the Laws of God, they remember them, they delight in them, they seek them out and they ponder on them. May we do what our Lord Jesus did!

Psalm 119:89-96

New International Version (NIV)

ל Lamedh

89 
Your word, Lord, is eternal;
    it stands firm in the heavens.
90 
Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
    you established the earth, and it endures.
91 
Your laws endure to this day,
    for all things serve you.
92 
If your law had not been my delight,
    I would have perished in my affliction.
93 
I will never forget your precepts,
    for by them you have preserved my life.
94 
Save me, for I am yours;
    I have sought out your precepts.
95 
The wicked are waiting to destroy me,
    but I will ponder your statutes.
96 
To all perfection I see a limit,
    but your commands are boundless.



No comments:

Post a Comment