Monday 15 April 2013

Psalm 119:49-56


"My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life."
{Psalm 119:50} (NIV) 

We make a mistake if we glance quickly over this word comfort. The Hebrew word, which is 'comfort' in this verse, is translated as 'consolation' in Job 6:10. These are the only two places this Hebrew word appears in the Old Testament. The psalmist is truly suffering, although we are not given details, and he has found real comfort in a truth that seems hard for us to get a hold of. The Law of God, at its very heart, is a promise! That’s right, a promise! 

What a joy it is to collect the promises of God, to write them on cards, to bring them into our minds. The Law is a promise; it is the promise of the LORD for the life of His people. “Do these things and live” says the LORD, so Jesus came and did these things and lived, even though He died! The Law is His directions for us to become a holy nation, His people; holy as He is Holy. 

When we consider that a Christian is a person who is indwelt with the Holy Spirit (a promise), writing the Law of God (a promise) on our hearts, we begin to understand what a blessing upon blessing we have in Christ! The righteous person asks the LORD to remember His Word of hope. We remember His Laws and His Name, and find true comfort in our suffering.

Psalm 119:49-56

New International Version (NIV)

ז Zayin

49 
Remember your word to your servant,
    for you have given me hope.
50 
My comfort in my suffering is this:
    Your promise preserves my life.
51 
The arrogant mock me unmercifully,
    but I do not turn from your law.
52 
I remember, Lord, your ancient laws,
    and I find comfort in them.
53 
Indignation grips me because of the wicked,
    who have forsaken your law.
54 
Your decrees are the theme of my song
    wherever I lodge.
55 
In the night, Lord, I remember your name,
    that I may keep your law.
56 
This has been my practice:
    I obey your precepts.


No comments:

Post a Comment