Saturday 13 April 2013

Psalm 119:41-48

"I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts."
{Psalm 119:45} (NIV)

The righteous person knows that real freedom lies in complete obedience to God’s Laws. We can think of God’s Laws as onerous, and restrictive, and then our life becomes “do this, do that” (Isa 28:10-13). Our flesh constantly tells us, and of course the world is working overtime, telling us that freedom is found in throwing off all of God’s Laws and purposefully doing the opposite of what God commands. 

Who would buy a garden shed and purposefully put it together exactly opposite to the written instructions? You would end up with a disaster!  Yet this is how we treat our Creator’s instructions, and when we do we end up in a disaster. The psalmist knows that God’s love comes into his life as he obeys the Word of God. So he asks that God would keep his Words in his mouth. He tells God that he will obey them, he will seek them, he will speak of them, he will reach out for them and he will meditate on them. 

Friend, if we truly believed that God’s Laws bring us freedom, we would delight in them, and we would love them.

“Change our heart Oh God, make it ever true…”

Psalm 119:41-48

New International Version (NIV)

ו Waw

41 
May your unfailing love come to me, Lord,

    your salvation, according to your promise;
42 
then I can answer anyone who taunts me,
    for I trust in your word.
43 
Never take your word of truth from my mouth,
    for I have put my hope in your laws.
44 
I will always obey your law,
    for ever and ever.
45 
I will walk about in freedom,
    for I have sought out your precepts.
46 
I will speak of your statutes before kings
    and will not be put to shame,
47 
for I delight in your commands
    because I love them.
48 
I reach out for your commands, which I love,
    that I may meditate on your decrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment