Friday 26 April 2013

Psalm 119:129-136


"Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."
{Psalm 119:133} (NIV)
      
When it comes to sin we have it backwards! We think of sin as our tool. “This will bring me what I need” is how we think. We enter into sin thinking that we will use it for our purposes. Yet the truth is that we are a tool of sin. It uses us for its purposes, and its purposes are death. 

God told Cain, “..sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”  A person who is willing to listen to God, unlike Cain, seeks to obey God and rule over sin, instead of letting sin have its way with us. At first, the Law seems to be no help to us, because the Bible teaches that “the power of sin is the law” (1 Corinthians 15:56), but as we understand the truth of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, then we begin to pray the prayer of the psalmist. If God would direct our actions as we live (footsteps) according to His righteous commands, then we would be able to break sin’s rule over us! 

Our Lord taught us to pray this way when He told us to pray “Your will be done on earth … Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil.” Oh friend, what about it? Do we want to live in the light of the glory of freedom from sin and from human oppression? Then friend, we will pray for God to cause us to obey His commands. We will seek them out, we will long for them, and we will take time out of today, to sit quietly at His feet and allow the most wonderful, gentle and gracious Teacher, to teach us how to live our lives in obedience to His decrees!

Psalm 119:129-136

New International Version (NIV)

פ Pe

129 
Your statutes are wonderful;
    therefore I obey them.
130 
The unfolding of your words gives light;
    it gives understanding to the simple.
131 
I open my mouth and pant,
    longing for your commands.
132 
Turn to me and have mercy on me,
    as you always do to those who love your name.
133 
Direct my footsteps according to your word;
    let no sin rule over me.
134 
Redeem me from human oppression,
    that I may obey your precepts.
135 
Make your face shine on your servant
    and teach me your decrees.
136 
Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
    for your law is not obeyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment