Wednesday 17 April 2013

Psalm 119:65-72


"The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold."
{Psalm 119:72} (NIV)

This truth in this verse is echoed by our Lord when He tells us that money and God are opposites. Silver and gold are supposed to be tools used by humans to bring good into our lives, and yet they end up more often than not controlling us and bringing us to ruin. 

“If I had a million dollars” is a little jingle our Ontario government used to use to entice us to buy their tickets. Hearing this jingle caused us to daydream about quitting our jobs, buying homes, giving generously - all sorts of wonderful things. When we hear the chorus “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my way”, do we daydream about wonderful things happening in our lives as we obey God’s Laws? 

The psalmist talks about a progression in his view of God’s Laws. There was a time in his past when he went astray, but now because of affliction, he has realized that God is good, and His Law is good, and the good things that will come to him when he obeys. 

God is good, what He does is good and therefore what God tells me to do is precious to me. May we daydream today of the wonderful things happening in our lives as we obey God’s Laws.

Psalm 119:65-72

New International Version (NIV)

ט Teth

65 
Do good to your servant
    according to your word, Lord.
66 
Teach me knowledge and good judgment,
    for I trust your commands.
67 
Before I was afflicted I went astray,
    but now I obey your word.
68 
You are good, and what you do is good;
    teach me your decrees.
69 
Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies,
    I keep your precepts with all my heart.
70 
Their hearts are callous and unfeeling,
    but I delight in your law.
71 
It was good for me to be afflicted
    so that I might learn your decrees.
72 
The law from your mouth is more precious to me
    than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment