Wednesday 24 April 2013

Psalm 119:113-120

"Away from me, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!"
{Psalm 119:115} (NIV) 

This verse seems to be the opposite of the Lord’s approach. He went towards sinners. He ate with them, He healed them, He loved them. Because of how Christ operated on earth we say that God hates the sin but loves the sinner, and yet here in this prayer of a righteous person, we have the words “I hate double minded people”. However, did our Lord not call these sinners to repentance? Do the gospels not teach that He would tell people that they were forgiven, and also instruct them to sin no longer? Our Lord went looking for those who knew they were lost; for those who knew that His Holy Father, our Creator God would reject them when they stood in front of Him at the judgment. When He encountered Pharisees like Simon whose house He ate in, He called them to account for their prideful attitude. 

Friend, perhaps you aren’t persuaded. Perhaps you cannot bring yourself to hate double-minded people, nor tell the evildoers in your friendship circle to get away. Then friend, could you look into your own life and identify the places where you are of two minds regarding the commands of the Law? Friend, could you bring yourself to hate your own double-mindedness? This hatred of our own sinful tendencies to view God’s Law as only advice from a doting grandfather, is reflected in this righteous prayer of a righteous person.

Psalm 119:113-120

New International Version (NIV)

ס Samekh

113 
I hate double-minded people,

    but I love your law.
114 
You are my refuge and my shield;
    I have put my hope in your word.
115 
Away from me, you evildoers,
    that I may keep the commands of my God!
116 
Sustain me, my God, according to your promise, and I will live;
    do not let my hopes be dashed.
117 
Uphold me, and I will be delivered;
    I will always have regard for your decrees.
118 
You reject all who stray from your decrees,
    for their delusions come to nothing.
119 
All the wicked of the earth you discard like dross;
    therefore I love your statutes.
120 
My flesh trembles in fear of you;
    I stand in awe of your laws.



No comments:

Post a Comment