Monday 12 February 2018

Feb 12, 2018 - Suggested Reading 1st Service Exodus 12


“For seven days no yeast is to be found in your houses. And anyone, whether foreigner or native-born, who eats anything with yeast in it must be cut off from the community of Israel.”

The following article http://www.icr.org/article/a-45-million-year-old-brewers-yeast-still/ amazes me on several levels, not at least the amount of time, know-how and technology required to find yeast inside an amber fossil. The ancient Israelites didn’t have these resources to search out yeast in their homes, but from this chapter, we can see clearly that they were expected to search and remove it from their homes. No puffy bread nor beer for seven days, every year! This chapter lays out God’s expectations for the celebration that they should hold to remember what He did by bringing them out of Egypt. On the night that God took them out of Egypt – their calendars were changed. It is like a birth - my personal calendar started on the day I was born, and so the Jewish calendar started on the day God brought the nation Israel out of the womb of Egypt. Every year (just like a birthday) have a party (festival) and while you are feasting and drinking make sure there is no yeast anywhere in your house, to remind you that when you were “delivered” there was no time to prepare bread, they carried their dough on their shoulders before the yeast was added. I wonder to myself - Why don’t I celebrate the day I was reborn - the day I truly came alive? If I could remember the date (which I don’t) - do I remember the circumstances enough to mimic one of those circumstances every year as a celebration of the miracle God did in me, and for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment