Thursday 2 May 2013

Psalm 119:169-176


"I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands."
{Psalm 119:176} (NIV) 

This verse is not the prayer of the Lord Jesus, it is the prayer for the Lord Jesus. What a surprise to find this verse as the conclusion of a psalm that beautifully describes a righteous person’s relationship with God’s Laws! Yet how else could a righteous person end any meditation on God’s Laws? For the truth is, righteous people are righteous not because they obey the Law, but because they love the Law-Giver and have been granted forgiveness by the Law-Giver for their transgressions. The righteous live by faith, they are justified by faith and therefore they seek God to act on their behalf. 

These last eight verses are a crescendo of prayers, mixed with faith filled praise, that end with a call for the Good Shepherd to come and to seek those who are lost. Not those other lost people. No. To seek ME, for I have strayed, I have broken your commands. I know your Laws bring me Your love. I know Your Laws are what I need for life. Come and find me, gather me to your side, seek me out like the shepherd who lost that one sheep and left the others, like the woman who lost her one coin, like the father who lost his one son.

O heavenly Father hear from heaven, turn and heal me.O heavenly Father, thank you for sending your Son, for saving me, and for leaving me your Spirit who writes Your Law on my heart.

Psalm 119:169-176

New International Version (NIV)

ת Taw

169 
May my cry come before you, Lord;
    give me understanding according to your word.
170 
May my supplication come before you;
    deliver me according to your promise.
171 
May my lips overflow with praise,
    for you teach me your decrees.
172 
May my tongue sing of your word,
    for all your commands are righteous.
173 
May your hand be ready to help me,
    for I have chosen your precepts.
174 
I long for your salvation, Lord,
    and your law gives me delight.
175 
Let me live that I may praise you,
    and may your laws sustain me.
176 
I have strayed like a lost sheep.
    Seek your servant,
    for I have not forgotten your commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment