Thursday 30 May 2013

Isaiah 40:27-41:1

"...But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
{Isaiah 40:30} (NIV) 

The KJV says “those who wait on the LORD”, and the NIV uses the word HOPE. It is exactly the same thought. To wait on the LORD is to recognize that the situation you are in is beyond your capability; that is you cannot rescue yourself from your situation and therefore you expect the LORD to rescue you. To hope on the LORD is place your trust for your future in His unchanging nature, in His incomparable power, and on His never ending love for you. 

Isaiah 40 is a marvellous declaration of God’s nature and power and love. Why do we complain? Why do we say things like, “God has forgotten about me” or “He isn’t paying attention to my situation, or He doesn’t seem to care”. Isaiah is sharing a truth about where our strength as a Christian comes from. We receive strength by placing our hope in the Almighty God. 

What situation are we in today? Ill health perhaps. Discouragement, or defeated by sin perhaps. Deeply hurt by someone we love. Uncertain about our future employment. A real lack of a sense of connectedness to God. Perhaps just plain tired; tired of work, tired of the struggle, tired of the demands. Friend, listen to the words of Isaiah. Write them on your wall. Repeat them to yourself, and then tell God, “Father my hope is in you, not in myself or in my spouse, or in my family - it is in you, the Creator God who never gets weary, who is never confused, who loves me, and who is good to me all of the time. My hope is in you, and only in you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment