Friday 27 October 2017

Oct 27, 2017- 1st Service Suggested Reading 2 Corinthians 5


Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience.

Paul connects fear of the Lord with his activity of working to persuade people to be reconciled to God thru His Son our Lord Jesus Christ. He explains what he means by fear of the Lord in vs 9 & 10- his goal is to please God, knowing that our Lord will judge us for what we have done while we are alive. To fear the Lord is to live each day, each hour, each moment in the awareness that we will be judged by our Lord for what we do. So Paul works hard at sharing the gospel- so hard actually that he calls sharing the gospel persuading others- in order that he might please his Lord. Paul would not think very highly of the “frozen chosen” mentality that overtakes many of us modern Christians. More to the point our Lord does not think highly of the “frozen chosen” mentality that grips so many of us. Will the Lord as he reviews my life judge my efforts in sharing the gospel favourably or poorly. Do I fear the Lord enough to try to persuade my loved ones, my neighbours and strangers I meet to put their trust in the Lord? Or do I shiver like a little ice cube and stay in my place in the tray?

No comments:

Post a Comment