Tuesday 16 October 2012

Psalm 61



  "From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
{Psalm 61:2}  (NIV1984)

David knew how important a rock is in a battle! To have the high ground is to have the advantage. To have high ground that is firm beneath your feet, that doesn’t shift around, is a tremendous advantage! How many times had David ran to a rock to shoot arrows, or to make a stand and kill his enemies? Yet this psalm is about God and being in the manifest presence of God. 

David is crying out to God to be led to the rock that is higher than he. He wants to dwell in God’s tent forever, to have God’s wings sheltering him; to have God preserve his life and the life of his kingdom. Jerusalem was built on a high rock. The tabernacle was placed inside the city and David’s longing is to be drawn close to God and have His manifest presence protect him. 

Do we long to be drawn into the manifest presence of God? Do we want to confess our sins and be forgiven on the basis of the blood of Christ? Do we want to enter God’s court and praise His Holy name? Do we see this proximity to God as a refuge, a strong tower and a preservation of our life? 

O Heavenly Father, draw me near to you this day, for I am only safe when I am near you; when my feet are firmly planted on you my Rock! Father I will praise your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment