Thursday 2 August 2012

Matthew 6:5-15


"Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
{Matthew 6:8} (NIV1984)

Our earthly fathers are the last to know. They do care, and they do love us, but they don’t know what we need. Our Heavenly Father knows all things and knows what we need before we ask Him. We can’t manipulate Him by many words or by vain repetition. He is not a system; He is a Person, a Father who knows what we need. He knows even before we know, and He cares. 

Why then should we pray? If He knows, why doesn’t He just meet my need? He does! How many times does He go before me, helping me, saving me, providing for me? Yet we are told to pray to Him and to ASK. If we ASK we will receive, if we ASK we will spend time with Him acknowledging our needs and His sufficiency to meet our needs. We will be on our knees before His throne - oh, what a glorious truth this is - that when we pray we enter the very throne room of heaven, our Heavenly Father stops and listens and answers His beloved children. What is stopping me today? Why have I not already asked Him, why have I not gone before His throne of grace? 

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer. That calls me from a world of care. And bids me at my Father's throne. Make all my wants and wishes known.

{Sweet Hour of Prayer, Text: William Walford, 1772-1850, Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816-1868} 

No comments:

Post a Comment