Thursday 23 August 2012

Matthew 6:19-24


"Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless."
{Ecclesiastes 5:10} (NIV1984) 

How do we measure up against this definition of a lover of money? Do we find ourselves never having enough money? Are we always unsatisfied with our income? If these two things are true about us, then we are lovers of money. 

Solomon is teaching us a truth. He has observed that people who are eager to get rich, who desire great wealth, will never have enough. He tells us that the leech has two daughters, "Give! Give!" they cry (Prov 30:15). This is the opposite picture of contentment - always striving, never getting there, never having enough. 

This prayer from Proverbs 30:7-9, would be a great prayer for us to pray, if we can pray it in sincerity of heart to our God today:

Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you  and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.


No comments:

Post a Comment