Friday 15 February 2013

Romans 9


"Do you know when the mountain goats give birth? Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn? Do you count the months till they bear? Do you know the time they give birth? They crouch down and bring forth their young..."
{Job 39:1-3} (NIV 1984) 

Friend, when we read Romans 9 we ask questions like “Is God unjust?”(vs 14) When we are given a small glimpse into the thoughts of God as He rules and administers His creation and His creatures, we in our sin and pride cannot help but accuse Him of injustice and lack of mercy. This is natural only in the sense that we are naturally sinners, and that we have finite minds and therefore cannot understand the mind of God. 

These three verses in Job 39 always bless me and bring me to the place of praise. These Words of God take me from Pharaoh’s throne room and put me in a cedar thicket on the north side of Stoney Lake. Who is there when those does give birth? Who counts down the months, and days, and minutes before those little fawns come forth? Who crouches in the wet and the snow and gives a doe strength to bear her young? God does! He cares for the animals, and He cares for you. His mercies are new every day all over the earth, there for every part of His creation. They are there for you and for me. Our Lord told us, “Don’t be afraid, you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Matt 10:31)

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

{Civilla D. Martin, 1905}

No comments:

Post a Comment