Saturday 9 February 2013

John 12:20-36

“Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”
{John 12:27,28a} (NIV 1984)

Verse 20 starts with some Greeks who want to see Jesus, and ends with our Lord hiding Himself from the crowd. As I read it I can’t help thinking of our Lord crying out to His Father on cross, “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” Why is it a spiritual truth, that when we go through the darkest hours of our lives, we can’t see our God? I can’t tell you why, but I can tell you that it is a spiritual truth, found throughout the entire Bible, and revealed in its fullness in the account of our Lord’s death. 

Friend, remember this truth, when that moment strikes, when the loneliness closes in, when your heart is troubled and you can’t see God anywhere. Go to this passage and follow the example of our Lord. Say what He says, “Shall I say to my Heavenly Father, Save me from this hour?” No, the reason I came to this hour was that I might glorify His Holy Name! When our Lord said those words, sincerely and from His heart, then His Father spoke for our benefit. 

Friend, say those words, sincerely and from your heart, and you will hear your heavenly Father’s voice, spoken to you for your benefit. He will be glorified through us! The reason that this hour has come is so that we can bring glory to the wonderful Name of our Father. Praise His Holy Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment