Wednesday 12 September 2012

Psalm 130



 "Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD: O LORD, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy."
{Psalm 130:1,2} (NIV1984)

As I read this passage, I think of Jeremiah stuck in the mud at the bottom of the well because of the wickedness of others. I think of Jonah trapped inside a big fish at the bottom of the sea, because of his rebellion against the LORD. And I think of David, prostrate before God, fasting and pleading for the life of his son, because of David’s own sin. 

Out of the depths! The depths of helplessness, the depths of hopelessness, the depths of guilt and despair. Friend, when we find ourselves in these places, remember these men, remember this psalm. It is from the depths that we cry to our God. It is Him and only Him who can help. He will help us - not because of our goodness - but because of who He is. 

He is a good God, a gracious God, a compassionate God, a God who shows mercy. May our prayers always contain this element of Daniel’s great prayer, 'We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. (Daniel 9:18)' Praise His precious Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment