Saturday 8 September 2012

1 John 1



  "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."
{1 John 1:9} (NIV1984)

Of all of the verses in the Bible, this verse is the most precious to me! This passage, above all the passages in the Bible, teaches me the enormity of what my Lord has done for me. He has brought me into true fellowship with God Himself, a Holy and Righteous God.  A fellowship that is based not on how well I obey God, but based on the blood sacrifice my Lord made for me. This verse tells me not to hide when the Spirit shows me my sin. Not to deny the truth of my sin, but to admit to God that I have sinned. 

To search myself for sin and to ask the Spirit to show me my sin, is what I do whenever I read this verse. I desire to be righteous before God. I desire to walk in that fellowship with my Holy God, and this verse shows me the way. All I have to do is confess my sin to God, and He does the rest. No "hail marys", no great deeds of penance. No! He Himself, on the basis of the blood sacrifice of my Lord Jesus, forgives my sins and restores me to that starting point I had when I first trusted Christ Jesus for my salvation. Here I am again at the starting blocks, clean, free, and under no obligation to sin.  

Praise His Holy Name! May I honour Him this day, by seeking His Righteousness in all that I am and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment