Monday 31 December 2018

Dec 31, 2018 - Year end meditation on Romans 14:12


“So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.”

I always enjoy December 31st, for there is something inside me that turns my mind back over the past year and attempts to evaluate myself and my efforts over the past year. Don’t get me wrong - for I don’t always enjoy the evaluation, many times I experience disappointment even frustration as I think through the previous year. However, I do enjoy the process for I realize how important it is to evaluate what I have done, or what I have been, in order to see the gracious hand of God in my life, or to see my need for change and seek His help in the coming year to see that change happen. Now I realize that there are some people, perhaps more than I know, who don’t intentionally evaluate, nor measure progress, nor set goals for their lives, but whether or not they evaluate intentionally, I think all people engage in forward thinking - a type of visioning in which they have an idea of the direction they would like their life or their activities to go, and, whether or not it is an intentional evaluation, all people experience disappointment or joy associated with how close reality has come to their concept of a preferred future.

As Christians, we are to live our lives on earth with the full realization that we serve a risen Lord before whom we will give an account for all that we have done, and all that we have been. Paul is clear in this chapter that we don’t give that account to other Christians - we can fall into that trap pretty quick - worrying about acting like others, or eating what they eat etc. Don’t serve others or live to please others - we are serving a Risen Lord, who has a will regarding our life and service and before whom we will give an account. So today or sometime this week, as our minds go back over this year, and as we think about ourselves, our families and our workplaces, let us ask the Lord to make His evaluation of us - our evaluation of us. That is - let us ask Him to make His thoughts regarding us as His servants, what we did, and who we have been, our thoughts. For if we see ourselves with His eyes, and see where we pleased Him, and where we grieved Him - well that experience will surely help us serve Him better next year which will benefit us, our families and our communities as we step into the future.    

No comments:

Post a Comment