Friday 21 September 2018

September 21, 2018 - Suggested Reading John 6 for Sept 16th s message on 1 Corinthians 10:14-33 in our worship service at 9:00 am


“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.”

Oh that we would learn that the hour of trial has come for a reason.
Oh that we would learn when our soul becomes troubled to pray as our Lord prayed.
We have a choice as our Lord had a choice - our prayer could be “save me from this hour”- but how much better would it be to pray “Father glorify your name”.
The other gospels record our Lord’s prayer in the garden, but John records our Lord’s prayers before the garden, and in doing so John reveals our Lord’s heart behind His prayers in the garden. The heart behind the prayer “if possible take this cup from me” is a heart who above all else wants His heavenly Father glorified. It is a heart that is willing to endure anything so that God would be praised and honoured and His Name lifted up.
What a wonderful promise we have in this verse as our Father speaks from heaven and declares that He has and will glorify His Name. It gives me such hope to know that God is determined to glorify His Name thru me, and that He will work in me and thru me, in spite of me and my propensity to seek my glory and my well being at the expense of His glory.
Oh that I would learn that the hour of trial has come for a reason.
Oh that I would learn to pray in every situation “Father glorify your name”.

No comments:

Post a Comment