Wednesday 31 October 2018

October 30, 2018 - Suggested Reading Psalm 81 for Nov 4th’ s message on 1 Corinthians 13 in our worship service at 9:00 am


“If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways,”
Psalm 81:13 (NIV)  

Reality can have a bitter taste to it.
This verse gives us a real dose of that kind of reality.
This verse tells us that the only thing that stands between me and victory in my Christian life is my refusal to listen to God and live my life following His ways.
You may object by reminding me that this is the Old Testament and that the New Covenant is unconditional whereas the Old is always conditional and that I need to learn the difference between grace and law.
Well friend - just read verse 6 and 7 again - it is describing Israel’s salvation with Words that describe our salvation. Verse 8 and 9 were echoed by our Lord in Matthew 6 when He tells us to be careful not to love Money. Verse 10 reminds us that we trusted Him for salvation - and asks if will we not trust Him for what I do today in my life - will we not open our mouths and receive what he has for us now? This concept of “opening our mouths” is echoed in 1 Cor 12:13 “given one Spirit to drink”. Is verse 16 not the glorious gospel? For it is echoed in our Lord’s Words in John 10:10 that He came to bring us “life to the full.
If those wonderful verses apply to us who are hidden in Christ, then the judgment and withholding of victory because of our stubborn refusal to follow God’s ways belong to us also.
These verses are echoed by Paul in 2 Cor 6:1 as he exhorts us “not to receive God’s grace in vain”.
How exactly can I receive God’s grace in vain?
I confess Christ as Lord, believing in my heart that God raised Him from the dead. God pours His grace into my life through the Holy Spirit, saving me, blessing me, bringing wonderful gifts for Parkdale’s benefit into my life. 
Yet I refuse to live my life according to His Ways.
Will we follow the most excellent Way today?
Will we live a life of love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment