Saturday 27 October 2018

October 27, 2018 - Suggested Reading 2 Peter 3 for Oct 28th s message on 1 Corinthians 12:28-31 in our worship service at 9:00 am


“I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.”
2 Peter 3:2 (NIV)  

Peter says it so simply!
What is my Christian life to be about?
I am to recall the words spoken by the prophets and the commands
given by our Lord through our apostles.
But those are ancient Words - don’t I need new Words?
No I don't need new words!
If someone says to me I have new word from God- I should run to the Word of God and check to see if what they say is found in the Words of God, written down by the apostles and the prophets. 
If I can’t find this new word there, then I should run away from the one who says
they have a new word. 
If I can find that new word in the Bible then I should say “amen, thank you for reminding me of what the prophets and apostles said long ago, thank you for pointing out that obedience to what they said long ago is what we need today.”
Peter wants us to be on our guard, to listen to the apostles including Paul, and to understand that what the apostles teach is on the same level as Scripture.
May we recall the ancient Words and not be carried away by error!

No comments:

Post a Comment