Sunday 19 February 2012

1 Corinthians 9

“Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. 
Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!”
{1 Corinthians 9:16} (NIV 1984)

The apostle Paul was used by God to spread the gospel throughout the Roman Empire. His conversion was miraculous, his depth of insight into the mysteries of the gospel and the church were astounding. He was the greatest of the apostles in terms of writing, evangelism and church planting. He died as a martyr for the cause of Christ at the hands of the Roman Empire. Everywhere he went he preached the gospel. He suffered greatly as he preached. Yet he would not boast about all that he did to spread the gospel. He says in verse 16 that he was compelled to preach. In other words, he was made to preach by God, that he believed that if he didn’t preach “woe” would come upon him. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to preach, or that God was causing him to do something against his own will. No! Paul was filled with zeal and determination to give his life for his Lord, and for his Lord’s church.

What Paul is expressing is his deep sense of being entrusted with gospel for the world. He believed that he was given the gospel as a treasure to be shared, the gospel was entrusted to him, to be spoken out wherever he went. So he looked at preaching the gospel as being a good servant, discharging the trust that he had been given. Properly “spending” the treasure where his Master directed him.

Paul says “I can’t boast about doing my job. But I can boast about doing it without taking money from those I preach to.” Paul made it a point to work with his hands and support himself so that he could offer the gospel at his expense. I wonder my friend, do we see how important it is to offer the gospel at our expense? Christ Jesus gave himself freely, a free gift for the world. So the gospel should be free. Yet many people in our communities believe that the church wants their money.

 May we learn from Paul, and may we preach the gospel to our family and neighbours at our expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment