Thursday 19 December 2019

December 19, 2019 - Suggested Reading Hebrews 2 for the December 22nd message on Isaiah 9:1-7 in our worship service at 10:00AM


“Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters. He says, “I will declare your name to my brothers and sisters; in the assembly I will sing your praises.”

(Ps22:22) And again, “I will put my trust in him.” (Isa 8:17) And again he says, “Here am I, and the children God has given me.” (Isa 8:18)
Of the four titles given to our Lord Jesus by Isaiah 9:6, Everlasting Father seems confusing because we wonder how our Lord could be known as Father. Some answer this question by referring to the Trinity, and attempting to show that Isaiah was revealing Jesus as God through this title, but it seems like the title Mighty God covers that task quite well, and that the title Everlasting Father might have a different revelation in mind.
It seems to me that another aspect our Lord’s reign as King is in view here, for although it is hard for us to relate in a family way to the Lord Jesus. He is family! This King of kings, Lord of lords, who brings counsel and power and peace into our lives is family.
Not family of our doing- but what love God has lavished on us that we would be called the children of God, born again not of a human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.
Not family as we understand family, for we all recognize that there is nothing everlasting about our family- we mourn the loss of our loved ones, but we will never mourn the loss of our Everlasting Father. Rather we will enjoy sweet, sweet fellowship with this Everlasting Father - our Lord Jesus Christ.
Not father as we understand father, for we all recognize that human fathers are at best a shadow of the image of our Heavenly Father, and at worst a grotesque distortion of all that a father is supposed to be. But Father in the sense of Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God forever! Dad’s are to be wise and mighty, and this Dad is both – forever.
Friend I long to walk with my Everlasting Father and to bask in the privilege of being in the family of God, seeing Him in His glory and sharing in His glory.
The wonderful truth is that I can experience this familial kinship now, this side of glory, as I seek His face, listening to Him, worshipping Him and experiencing the wonder of the wisdom and protection of my Everlasting Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment