Tuesday 19 March 2019

March 19, 2019 - “Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets, I killed you with the words of my mouth— then my judgments go forth like the sun.” Hosea 6:5


“Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets, I killed you with the words of my mouth— then my judgments go forth like the sun.”
Hosea 6:5 

A quick cursory glance at this verse might cause us to think for a moment that God is like those around us who seek to harm us with their words. Proverbs 18:21 tells us - contrary to the little rhyme our teachers taught us which told us “names will never hurt me” – “that the tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” and so we understand the truth that words strike into the very core of an individual, causing both benefit and damage. We are presently seeing havoc wreaked in our younger generations, by them eating the fruit of words on social media – they cannot live without constantly checking their social media - and are reaping the negative benefits of this love of the tongue.

However, God is not a bully nor a hater of our souls, He is not speaking these Words that kill us out of malice, but rather from a good and gracious Heart. A Heart that knows what we need in order for us to be in a right relationship with the Lover of our soul.

We need Words that cut our sin nature into pieces.

We need Words that kill our old man.

God sends these Words of judgment to us every morning - but will we receive them?

Protection from harmful words will require our children to learn to live without the fickle accolades of social media.

Protection from harmful words will require our children to break off relationships with “friends”.

Protection from ourselves - our real enemy which is our sin nature- requires that we open ourselves up to the “harmful” Words of God!

Friend will you read those Words today from the Lover of your soul? 

Will you open up yourself to the Surgeon who operates on our hearts?

Will you open the bible and read today - paying particular attention to the Words that hurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment