Saturday 3 August 2019

August 3, 2019 - Suggested Reading Jude for the August 4th message on Amos 5 in our worship service at 10:00AM


“For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.”
Jude vs 4 (NIV) 

Were you encouraged or discouraged, when you read this one-chapter letter?
It is amazing to me that every time I finish this letter I am encouraged!
The fact that people throughout the ages within the community of believers have been seeking to pervert the grace of God into a license for immorality tells me that the situation we face in our Quinte area churches is as old as the church of Christ. Jude tells us that their condemnation was written long ago, and as we read Amos and the rest of the Old Testament, we realize that the situation we face is older than the church of Christ – for it is as old as humans themselves. Jude gives us some examples from the Old Testament, going all the way back to Enoch – who walked with God and was taken by God to be with Him.
What are we then to do about this situation? Build our own faith up, help others with their faith, saving some from their errors and being merciful and fearful with others.
Nowhere do we see instructions in this letter to smite these ones who have snuck into our community - we are to leave the smiting to God.
But it is the keeping aspect of this letter that fills my heart with encouragement.
Verse tells us we are called, loved and kept, verse 24 tells us that He is able to keep us from stumbling, and verse 21 tells us to keep ourselves in God’s love as you wait.
There is no better way to keep myself in God’s love than by meditating on His ability to keep me, and His great love for me.
I have this song by the Gettys on my playlist - because it brings the encouragement of Jude to my mind and my heart.

When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast;
When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.
I could never keep my hold through life's fearful path;
For my love is often cold; He must hold me fast.

He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Saviour loves me so, He will hold me fast.

Those He saves are His delight, Christ will hold me fast;
Precious in his holy sight, He will hold me fast.
He'll not let my soul be lost; His promises shall last;
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.

For my life He bled and died, Christ will hold me fast;
Justice has been satisfied; He will hold me fast.
Raised with Him to endless life, He will hold me fast
‘Till our faith is turned to sight, When He comes at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment