Wednesday 2 July 2014

Psalm 121

http://www.redbubble.com/people/dedmanshootn/works/7947017-olympics-sunset-with-psalm-121-1-2
"In the thirty-ninth year of his reign, Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians." 
2 Chronicles 16:12 (NIV) 

This verse tweaks me every time I read it! On whom do I rely for help? Have I asked God to help me in my situation? I get medicine, I go to emergency, I seek medical help - which is fine and wise and right! But have I sought God’s help?

The Bible contains a lengthy record of Asa who was the great grandson of king Solomon and the king of the Judah for 41 years. 2 Chronicles 15:17 says that “his heart was fully committed to the LORD all of his life”, and we understand the context of that statement to mean that he was a true worshiper of the LORD, the Great I Am. He refused to worship idols and false gods, and he even punished his grandmother for her public worship of idols. Chapter 14 tells us that he commanded Judah to seek the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and to obey his laws and commands; truly he was a worshiper of God in the lines of Joshua who said, “as for me and my house we will serve the LORD.” YET - Chapter 16 records that the LORD rebuked him for relying on a foreign government for help instead of relying on the LORD to help him against his enemies. Then it records that Asa relied on doctors to heal his disease and did not seek help (healing) for the LORD.

How can a true worshiper of God forget to seek God’s help? I can’t explain it; I suspect that it has to do with spiritual pride, for we see a real anger directed at the prophet and other innocents following the LORD’s rebuke. I can’t explain it, but I don’t want to spend 39 years of my life as a true worshiper of God and fall into the trap of not seeking His help in every situation. May the words of Psalm 121 be true in our lives, our entire lives!



"I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? 
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment