Thursday 12 December 2013

1 Kings 18

http://randalldsmith.com/the-fulfilled-life-the-god-that-answers-by-fire-1-kings-181-40"Answer me, LORD, answer me, so these people will know that you, LORD, are God and that you are turning their hearts back again." 

1 Kings 18:37 (NIV) 

How many times have I longed to be like Elijah and see my prayers answered? "...A human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops." (James 5:17) Yet I would not want to be Elijah in 1 Kings 18. Standing in front of a hostile crowd; the prophets of Baal who wanted to kill him and an indifferent, even hostile, group of Israelites who had suffered under famine for three years because of his prayer. Standing in front of a soaking wet stone alter, with wood, a dead bull and water in a trench, with his life and ministry completely dependent upon God answering his prayer to light the sacrifice at that moment, this is the most important prayer he will ever utter. 

The stakes are huge and a wise person pays attention to the words of this prayer. What does Elijah say that prevails with God, that causes the God of heaven and earth to respond with fire? It seems as if he is testing God in his prayer, but that can't be true for he is obeying God in this "test". Elijah prays not only that they would know that YHWH is God, but they would also know that the mission of this God is turn the hearts of the people back to Him. The root cause of their divided kingdom, their lack of water and food, their external enemies that threaten, and their social issues is there hearts. God wants to bless them and cause them to prosper, but their hearts must be turned first. This is an effectual prayer of a righteous person. 

Change my heart, O God. Make it ever true.
Change my heart, O God. May I be like you. 
You are the Potter, I am the clay. 
Mold me and make me
This is what I pray

No comments:

Post a Comment